These concepts are for entertainment only and are in no way
an official SONY concept for Planetside.
This is the older, original version of Urban Outposts. To view the updated current version, click here.
To read the developing ideas on Urban Outposts, you can visit the Idealab Forums
Original Urban Outpost Concept: Territory-based
Until this section s back
up, you can read these posts on the idea from varous threads:
Field Battles topic: First posts and graphics
Battles topic: Continued posts and graphics
Battle Lines topic: First posts and graphics
Old Urban Area (Urban Outpost) Building Descriptions
Admin (Control Console) Building:
- Houses the Admin Terminal that governs control
over the territory. If the outpost only has one building, then this
terminal is located in the Supply Depot, of which each zone always
- This building may also house other types
of terminals like a News, Zone Status, or Outfit terminals if the
devs see fit to add such things.
- Garage for holding stored vehicles, captured
vehicles, or special vehicles provided by Empire Tech Levels. The
garage is arranged like the Tech Plant vehicle area, except on ground
- Equipment Terminals that only provide Agile
and Suppressor level equipment if no connection to a friendly supply
line exists. Otherwise they allow MA, HA, SA, AV, etc.
- Lockers for storing weapons and equipment.
- Repair Silo that only functions if a connection
to a friendly supply line exists. I'm debating whether this requires
connection to a benefit-linked base.
- Zone Radar, as describe previously, covers
- Admin Terminal room, if no Admin Building
- Landing Pads, large enough for a galaxy
to land safely and take on vehicles.
- Generator Terminal - if this is hacked,
it temporarily diables the radar, repair silo, heavy equipment from
equipment terminals, ntu silo, and garage. Comes back online after
timer. Hack indicator does not show up till a few minutes later.
- Generator Core - if destroyed, same effect
as hacking generator but elements stay down till repaired. Power-out
indicator immediately shows up on map.
- An urban area (a.k.a Outpost) does not require
NTUs to function, only a working genrator and, for some equipment,
a link back to a base or capitol.
- Steadily produces resource points that get
shunted back through a secure supply line to increase Empire Tech
- This building can be made up to look like
a mine, manufacturing plant, hydroponics plant, food processing
plant, mineral processing, gas manipulation, energy research, etc.
- Maglev loading ramp allows vehicles to enter
- Maglev boarding area allows players to enter
- Lockers for storing weapons and equipment
Possible location for goods terminals
View details on the Maglev concept
Maglev Render by Kusutto
Generic Building shell:
- Can be more than one.
- Usually two stories tall with balconies,
perhaps with catwalks to buildings across the road, etc.
- Locations for unique environments to fight
in such as a medical station with med terminals, or a lounge, or
even a bathroom setting (True Lies bathroom battle anyone?)
- Possible location for goods terminals. These
terminals do not run out of power, can be hacked, and provide an
alternate source of basic equipment such as ammo, medkits, stimpaks,
engi juice, med juice, etc. Kind of like a PX store in a box. To
be used with a proposed rank salary system.
Disclaimer: it should
be noted that the idea name is altered from Urban Areas to Urban
Outposts; and the concept itself is changed back from hack-anywhere
to adjacent-hack only model, due to later conversations with FeckinOtter
in the Field Battles thread.